The Zambesi Evangelical Church came into being back in 1894 as a result of the original Zambesi Industrial
Mission's work in what was then known as the British Protectorate of Nyasaland. For most of its first
century ZEC was a rural Church but in recent years it has established a very significant presence in
Blantyre, Lilongwe and other townships.
The Church is governed by its own Synod which convenes bi-annually. There are now well over 500 congregations
and over 100,000 members spread across Malawi. It is served by about 150 trained pastors and a growing
numbers of evangelists engaged in Church Planting work.
ZM is an evangelical, undenominational agency existing entirely to support and encourage ZEC - and
other evangelical Churches where possible and appropriate - in a wide range of activities. These include